Thursday, April 25, 2013

Discerning My Calling to Teach

I discerned God’s call on my life to enter the teaching profession (and specifically teaching the Bible and Theology) throughout my undergraduate experiences at Gordon College. After taking my first New Testament survey course, I fell in love with Biblical and Theological Studies as a critical discipline. I decided to make that my major and, throughout the rest of my college career, I continued to grow in my biblical and theological understanding. During my freshman and sophomore years in college, I remember wrestling with my new-found “intellectual faith” and how to assimilate it with my Christian upbringing to that point. This was one aspect that God used to impress upon me the calling of teaching. As I have wrestled with these issues in the past, I can come alongside secondary students in my classroom to help them wrestle with integrating new-found biblical and theological knowledge into a framework of faith. 

In addition to this, my second major, Youth Ministries, impressed upon me the cultural phenomenon of rampant biblical illiteracy. As I was continuing to grow in biblical and theological understanding, I recognized within my own life the level of biblical illiteracy and the lacking catechetical efforts on the part of the evangelical church at large that led me there, even though I was raised in the church and in a Christian home. The fusion of these two concepts (assimilating an intellectual faith and the level of cultural biblical and theological illiteracy) resulted in a passion to deepen the biblical and theological understanding of students through Christian education in a private school.

Having taught and served in a Christian school for the past four years, my vocational calling has been confirmed and continues with unrelenting passion.

Soli Deo Gloria!
Peter T. Fitzroy
February 26, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment